Secondary/Garden Suite Saskatchewan


Post Reply
Posts: 4524
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:04 pm

Secondary/Garden Suite Saskatchewan

Post: # 46253Post
Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) — Secondary/Garden Suite

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance for the creation of a Secondary or Garden Suite for a low-income senior or adult with a disability — making it possible for them to live independently in their community, close to family and friends.

What is a Secondary Suite and a Garden Suite?

A secondary suite, sometimes called an in-law suite, is a self-contained separate unit within an existing home or an addition to a home. This means there are full kitchen and bath facilities as well as a separate entrance.
A garden suite is a separate living unit that is not attached to the principal residence, but built on the same property. Garden suites are sometimes referred to as “granny flats” because they were originally created to provide a home for an aging parent of a homeowner. Like a secondary suite, a garden suite is a self-contained unit.
Regardless of which type of housing is chosen, secondary and garden suites must meet all applicable building code requirements as well as local municipal planning and zoning regulations.

You may be eligible to receive assistance if:

You are a homeowner or private entrepreneur owning residential property that would accommodate an affordable, self-contained rental unit for a low-income senior (65 years of age or more) or adult with a disability.
Your property meets with the applicable zoning and building requirements.
You consent to enter into an Operating Agreement that establishes the rent that can be charged during the term of the Agreement.
You also agree that the household income of the occupant(s) of the newly created self-contained unit will be below a CMHC set level.

To find out how to apply for financial assistance or for more information about these programs
please call CMHC toll free at 1-800-668-2642.

Post Reply